I know I am a little late with this review but I just picked up the Blu Ray/DVD combo pack today and am just finishing up my viewing of this movie. I am a sucker for history and mythology, so that alone would have had me watch this movie. Throw in one of my favorite actors in Chris Hemsworth and the amazing Charlize Theron and I am on board!
As with my reviews, I will do a list of Pros and Cons, and then end the review with my own thoughts. I do assign a numerical score and try to be as fair as I can in that assessment.
Let’s do this!!!
– The special effects for the movie were fantastic and did not detract from the story that the director was trying to tell. There were ample opportunities for the CGI to disrupt the flow of the movie but I will say that they actually added much more to the movie than I had originally expected them to.
– What can I say about Charlize Theron? She owned every minute of movie that she was in. She was beautiful, deadly, conniving and represented a true threat. The Queen was played to it’s fullest by Theron and she made you wish to see her more on screen.
– As well, Chris Hemsworth was fantastic as The Huntsman. He had already won me over when he had his breakthrough role as Thor last year, and he cemented my appreciation of his talents here. He has amazing physical ability as well as comedic timing.
– The scene where The Huntsman tells the “dead” Snow White about his dead wife and how she reminds him of her, and then waking her from her coma like state with a kiss was such an amazing and powerful scene. I literally shed a few tears as the emotional investment was at an all time high.
– I actually really liked the personalities of the Seven Dwarfs and was happy they were not like their Disney counterparts. They were presented very “rough” and “real” way, and it grounded the film somewhat. Their comedic moments were well done and spread out evenly in the movie.
– The final battle that pitted the armies of both Snow White and The Queen was on a grand scale and very well executed. I like that there was a sense of “planning” done on both sides. It came off really well and was a perfect crescendo to the climax of the movie.
– I have never seen any previous work of Kristen Stewart but I think she could have taken this film to the next level. She seemed a little “wooden” in her performance and did not emote a lot. It seemed that she had a constant look of disbelief on her face that never changed even when the circumstances surrounding situation did drastically.
– I wanted to see more Charlize Theron. Her character was so integral to driving the story forward, and it seemed to grind a little slower during the middle moments of the film when she was not featured as much.
– I am unsure of the romantic dynamics of this movie. William obviously loved Snow White. and it also was suggested that Eric the Huntsman did as well, but what about her? There seemed to be way more chemistry between her and the Huntsman but also way more history between her and William. This is a part of the movie that left me hanging.
– I also wanted to see more action scenes with The Huntsman. Hemsworth is so amazing in this fantasy/action movies and is a natural with the weapons of that ilk. he kicked major ass and the scene where he returns to the village as it burns, had me cheering him on. I wanted more!!!
SCORE: 7.5 / 10
MY FINAL THOUGHT:
This movie was a very good film that did some things right but also needed some help so it could be elevated to the next level. If Kristen Stewart would have been able to actually show some emotions and expressions, it would have gone a long way to making the movie more impactful that it already was. Even if she had only given 50% more effort, the score would atleast be at an 8.5 for me.
I loved the darker take on the tale and enjoyed the way that the writer / director interpreted the source material. It really added a sense of sorrow and darkness tot he story. Charlize Theron really played off of this vibe and theme exceptionally well,and truly made the movie memorable.